Need help? Call us on +44 (0)20 7613 3444 or email
MSP® Programme Management - Foundation and Practitioner + Official Exam
About the course
MSP® - Managing Successful Programmes creates a structured framework for organizations of all sizes and from all sectors to improve practices, offer better services and more effectively prepare for the future.
It is a best practice guide that provides and maintains a strategic view over the set of projects, aligning and co-ordinating them within a programme of business change in support of specific business strategies.
MSP® Passport is an accredited eLearning package for MSP® - Managing Successful Programmes. It covers the syllabus and competencies for both Foundation as well as Practitioner level study and qualification. SPOCE's self-study aims to provide you with a straight forward route to becoming a fully certificated Registered Practitioner in your own time and at your own pace.
The key objectives of this course are to:
- Provide Delegates with an understanding of the benefits and principles underlying a structured approach to programme management
- Apply the principles of MSP® to a programme within a work environment
- Operate effectively with colleagues and managers within a structured programme and project management environment
- Enable delegates to understand the MSP® framework to be prepared to sit the APM Group MSP® Foundation and Practitioner exams.
Success in the Foundation & Practitioner Exams provides candidates with the pre-requisites required to sit the MSP® Advanced Practitioner exam (separate course).
Any organisation or individual seeing the need for a controlled approach to managing its programmes. The course is suitable for programme managers, experienced project managers, programme support team members and senior managers from any discipline.
The benefits of using this method include:
- Can be used in harmony with other Best Management Practice guidance, such as PRINCE2® and M_o_R® and any international or internal organizational standards
- Highly suitable for business transformation and political/societal change
- Accommodates high levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk
- MSP Principles can be applied to any change, whatever level of its focus, or nature of outcomes
- Programmes are always planned and managed with an end in mind.
- 12 modules with associated interactive and video presented lessons
- Notes to support each lesson and references to the MSP® Manual
- Module level exam simulation directly aligned to the MSP® Syllabus
- Online support, forums, chat and progress reports
- MSP® Foundation and Practitioner exam simulations
- Interactive exercises to consolidate the learning
- Extensive Exam Approaches module to support the “Objective Testing” Practitioner exam.
What is a Programme? What is Programme Management? Why use Programme Management? The characteristics of Portfolios, Programmes and Projects. 'Drivers for change' and the programme environment. Types of Programme and Programme impacts.
Introduction to MSP
MSP Terminology. The MSP 'framework'. MSP structure, including Principles, Themes and The Transformational Flow.
Organization and Programme Office
The MSP Organisation Structure. MSP Roles and Responsibilities, including Sponsoring Group, Programme Board, Senior Responsible Owner, Programme Manager, Business Change Manager and Business Change Team, and the Programme Office.
What is a vision? What are the characteristics of a good Vision Statement? When and how is the Vision Statement developed and maintained?
Leadership and Stakeholder Engagement
What is leadership? What is Business Change Management? What is a stakeholder, and what are the steps in the Stakeholder Engagement cycle, including the techniques and documents involved?
What are benefits and dis-benefits? Alignment with corporate objectives. How and why to categorise benefits. The Benefits Management Cycle, including identifying benefits, planning and delivering benefit realisation, and reviewing benefits.
Blueprint Design and Delivery
What is the blueprint and how is it designed? What is P.O.T.I.? How to design blueprint delivery, plan step
changes through tranches, and develop a programme schedule.
Planning and Control
Developing the programme plan. Planning and managing resources. Designing the Projects Dossier and developing the programme schedule.
The Business Case
What is the Business Case and what does it contain? Where does it begin, how is it developed, and how and when is it reviewed?
Risk and Issue Management
Sources and perspectives of risks and issues. Managing risks and the Risk Management Framework. Managing issues and the Issue Management Framework. Change Control and Configuration Management.
Quality and Assurance Management
What is quality and assurance? The scope of programme quality management. Assurance management approach, principles and techniques.
Introduction to The Transformational Flow. What are the processes and activities for Identifying a Programme, Defining a Programme, Managing the Tranches, Delivering the Capability, Realising the Benefits and Closing a Programme
Introduction to the MSP Foundation and Practitioner Exams. Style of questions and recommended approaches.
All modules include:
· Interactive Tasks
· Visualisation Mind Maps
· Foundation & Practitioner Exam Simulations
Foundation: 1 hour, closed book, 75 multiple-choice questions.
Practitioner: 2½ hours, open book (MSP® manual only), 8 scenario- based objective test questions.
Passing the exams will give you internationally recognised professional qualifications.
How do I book my exams?
The exams must be pre-booked (within the subscription period of your course), and are delivered online via your PC using a remote proctoring system.
To book your exam, please contact helpdesk @ course-source.com with the following details: Your name, company, username (used to access the course), name of the course/exam and your date of enrolment onto the course. Your details will be passed to the course publisher (SPOCE) who will contact you directly with details of the booking process. It is recommended that you complete your eLearning before booking your exam.
The MSP® course on this page is offered by SPOCE Project Management, ATO/Affiliate of AXELOS Limited.
MSP® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.