Need help? Call us on +44 (0)20 7613 3444 or email
Assessment and Approval of Adopters
In July 2013 the Government issued new statutory adoption legislation. The aim of this legislation was to shorten the adoption approval process and prevent families from being on waiting lists for lengthy periods.
This course is intended for anyone involved in the adoption assessment process. This includes:
- Prospective adopters and their families
- Members of the workforce who have particular responsibilities in relation to undertaking adoption assessments
- Agency decision makers
- Adoption panel members
About this course
The new legislation introduced a two-stage adoption approval process to help ensure that adopters can adopt within six months and a fast track process for previous adopters and approved foster carers.
This course will help you understand the process from start to finish.
The course contains additional resource materials, useful links and a refresher guide.
This course will enable you to:
- Understand the adopter assessment process from application to approval
- Learn about the two-stage approval process
- Learn about the fast-track process for previous adopters and approved foster carers
- Know the timescales from first application to final approval
- Know what information is gathered
- Learn about the Stage 1 and Stage 2 Plans
- Know what happens if a person is assessed as being unsuitable to adopt
- Understand the roles and functions of the adoption panel
- Learn about the adoption register
- Know where to go for advice and guidance
Here are a few of the topics covered in this course:
Background to the new adoption process | Registration of interest | Information gathering stages and timescales | Stage 1 Agreement / Plan | Complaints procedure | Fast-track assessments | Stage 2 Agreement / Plan | Brief Report and Full Report | Adoption Panel | Prospective adopter is approved | Prospective adopter is unsuitable | Independent Review Mechanism | Adoption register