Need help? Call us on +44 (0)20 7613 3444 or email
APM Project Fundamentals Qualification (BOK7 eLearning course)
The APM PMQ (Project Management Qualification) is a knowledge-based qualification developed by APM, the chartered body for the project profession. Candidates will be able to understand how their project fits into the strategic and commercial priorities of the company. APM PMQ is an internationally recognised qualification and the BOK7 is based on the 7th edition of their Body of Knowledge, the most up to date version of the qualification.
The APM PMQ BOK7 (Project Management Qualification) is aimed at those wishing to achieve a broad level of project management knowledge sufficient to participate in projects from individual assignments through to large capital projects. Canditates typically have some pre-existing project management knowledge, although this is not essential.
Session 1 - Introduction
- The structure and content of this course
- The APM PFQ Examination style
- Introduction to the case study.
Session 2 - Projects, programmes and portfolios
- The characteristics of a project
- How a project differs from business as usual (BAU)
- Roles of the project manager, the customer, the project sponsor, project governance, the product owner, the project management office, and the project team
- Linear, iterative and hybrid lifecycles
- Programme management and the difference between programmes and projects
- Portfolio management.
Session 3 - Establishing the Project
- Establishing the Project
- The purpose of a business case
- Typical contents of a business case
- Authorship and ownership of a business case
- The use of success criteria KPIS and benefits
Session 4 - Identifying the Project’s Scope
- The seven scheduling steps
- Breakdown structures
- Relationships between the breakdown structures.
Session 5 - Networks
- The purpose of networks
- Network relationships
- Producing networks for your project.
Session 6 - Estimating, Risk and Issue Management
- Four common approaches to estimating:
- Parametric and
- Estimating techniques
- Producing estimates
- Risk management
- Identifying and mitigating risks
- Issues and the way they are managed.
Session 7 - Critical Path Analysis
- Calculating the critical path through a project
- The importance of knowing the critical path
- Total float (slack)
- Milestones and “Timeboxing”
Session 8 - Resource Management
- Resource management
- How float can be used to determine team size
- Factors that should be considered when allocating resources to tasks
- Scheduling a project using all the steps in the planning staircase.
Session 9 - Monitoring and Control
- Monitoring and controlling the project
- Methods of maintaining control
- The project control cycle
- The stakeholder management process
- Decision gates, post project reviews, benefits reviews and project audits
- Change control and configuration management
- Project reporting and the contents of common reports.
Session 10 - Quality, PMP, Procurement and Soft Skills
- PESTLE analysis
- The ‘procurement strategy’, types of contract, and pricing schemes
- Quality and how we ensure it achieved
- Deployment baselines and how they differ between linear and iterative lifecycles
- Teamwork and leadership.
Certification / Exam
This course specifically provides the background knowledge for the related certification APM PMQ BOK7 exam (which learners must pass in order to achieve the formal Certification). IMPORTANT: Please note that the certification EXAM IS NOT INCLUDED with this course. The exam can be purchased separately from the course publisher and booking details for the exam are provided on request.
The online exam is 3 hours duration, including reading time. It contains 16 questions (candidates are required to answer 10 questions). Candidates will be given up to an additional 5 minutes at the end of the exam to collate their papers. Each complete question carries equal marks (50 marks per question) and it is assumed equal time will be spent on each question
APM require a minimum of five working days’ notice to process the request before the online APM PMQ exam can be taken. Please also note that for any cancellations up to five working days before the exam date, there will be a cancellation fee of £80+VAT.
The course on this page is offered by Training Bytesize, an Accredited Training Organisation of The Association of Project Management.