If your response is "GDP-what-on-earth-R-you-on-about?", then I'm afraid that’s a serious problem.
One of the most common "panic button" subjects I'm getting asked about right now is GDPR.
The General Data Protection Regulation is one of the most important pieces of company legislation for many years. The responsibilities are onerous, and the fines are steep. Your firm can be hit with a penalty of up to 20M Euros for non-compliance. Yep, you read that right - twenty million Euros. And don't think that Brexit will save UK companies - because this obligation kicks in long before Britain leaves the EU.
The GDPR legislation sets in stone your firm’s obligations on a whole range of consumer-data issues. You'll have to comply with strict rules on data encryption, the "right to be forgotten", and on cyber-attacks and data breaches.
Very few organisations will be compliant, without a significant amount of work - so don't say we didn't warn you.
Unfortunately, if you've tried to make sense of the government's website on this, you'll likely have got yourself in a complete muddle. I had a good look around - and I could barely work out where I was supposed to start. If you'd like to sort out your compliance the hard way, be my guest - here's the link.
Fortunately, we've got some help for you. We are partnered with some great eLearning publishers on this subject. They're helping firms like yours stay safe from the risk of a fine, under this monumental regulatory project. Check out more about what they've got to offer you:
- General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR - Board Training by Me Learning
- General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR - Core Training by Me Learning
- General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR - Foundation Training by Me Learning
- General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR - Practitioner Training by Me Learning
- Introduction to GDPR by Engage in Learning
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) by Essential Skillz
- What To Expect From The New GDPR by MicroLearn
- GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation by Marshall ACM
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) by Litmos Heroes
In coming weeks, we'll be bringing you news and updates on this looming issue. But frankly, you haven't got time to wait. You need to get to grips with the basics straight away.
If you'd like a quick summary, Compliance Week in conjunction with Hewlett Packard have prepared a free White Paper on your responsibilities. It's available for download on this link.
Don’t put this off. Compliance will be a difficult task, even for well-organised firms. A delay could cost you an awful lot of stress - and potentially, an absolutely gargantuan fine.