Managing a New Team
This course contains the following 9 modules on the following:
Agreeing Team Tasks: Organisations contain a complex web of management chains which are based on the delegation of task down to the individuals. This topic looks at empowerment through delegation and how this can be effectively managed.
Communication: Working relationships depend upon a range of interpersonal communications. This topic looks at both informal and formal communications and their roles in the development of effective working relationships.
Creating a Positive Environment: Creating a positive environment investigates the team leader’s role in creating positive working environment and the effect that the organisation’s structure can have on their efforts.
Encouraging Participation: Encouraging whole team participation requires application of a range of communication and role specific skills. This topic looks how whole team participation can be encouraged through the planning and management of meetings.
Establishing Responsibilities: Establishing individual responsibilities within a team requires the negotiation, setting and agreement of objectives. To be effective these objectives need to focus not just on the needs of the business, but also the needs of the various team members.
Getting to Know Your Team: This course looks at how you can get to know the people in your team, what a team does and how individuals operate within their team.
Supporting a Positive Environment: The effective leader recognises that they can work with team members in order to support and maintain a positive working environment. This topic investigates the team leader’s role in this.
Trust and Motivation: This topic looks at how trust and motivation can be developed within teams through the use of techniques and strategies aimed at meeting the needs of the individual, the team and the business.
Why Teams: This course looks at the benefits of team work, the types of teams that organisations use and the roles of the team leader and team members. The characteristics required by team leaders are also investigated.
Agreeing Team Tasks:
- Understand the benefits of delegating
- Be able to use delegation effectively
- Know how to set up a structure
- Know how to brief your team effectively
- Understand when and how to give feedback
- Understand the importance of good communication
- Understand the different levels of communication
- Know the stages of communication
- Feel confident to communicate in a variety of ways
- Understand the different communication styles
- Become a good listener
- Be able to manage conflict
Creating a Positive Environment:
- Understand your role in creating a positive working environment
- Understand how organisational structure can assist or hinder your efforts
- Know how to avoid office politics
- Begin to improve your communication skills
- Know how to create a no blame culture
- Know what questions to ask in a review
- Be able to plan and manage meetings effectively
- Be able to communicate using role specific skills
- Understand how to encourage all members of the team
- Be able to deal with interruptions and aggression
- Know what is required to establish responsibilities within a team
- Be able to set achievable objectives
- Be able to modify your objectives
- Understand the importance of involving the team when setting objectives
- Know how to make your team aware of their responsibilities
- Be able to involve the team in carrying out a breakdown of tasks
Getting to Know Your Team:
- Be able to get to know your team
- Understand what your team does
- Be able to understand how individuals operate
- Understand the need to observe your team
- Be able to communicate
- 1:1 sessions
Supporting a Positive Environment:
- Understand your role in supporting a positive environment
- Know how your leadership style effects the working environment
- Know who to include and when in the decision making process
Trust and Motivation:
- Understand what trust is
- Understand what motivation is
- Know how to develop trust within your team
- Know how to meet your team’s needs
- Know when to use motivation
- Know the benefits of team work
- Know different types of teams
- Know your role in the team
- Understand the characteristics required as the team leader
Agreeing Team Tasks: 25 Minutes
Communication: 30 Minutes
Creating a Positive Environment: 20 Minutes
Encouraging Participation: 45 Minutes
Establishing Responsibilities: 20 Minutes
Getting to Know Your Team: 40 Minutes
Supporting a Positive Environment: 20 Minutes
Trust and Motivation: 35 Minutes
Why Teams: 45 Minutes