Asbestos Awareness (OSHA)
With an estimated 1.3 million employees in construction and general industry facing significant exposure to asbestos on the job, being aware of the dangers of this fibrous material and knowing where you may find it is vitally important. Because it is often mixed with other materials, it can sometimes be difficult to know if you're working with asbestos or not.Known as a hidden killer, asbestos can cause serious diseases that may not seem to affect you immediately, and take a long time to develop. Once diagnosed however, it is often too late to treat the disease.This module will describe what asbestos is and show where you may find it, youll also learn of the associated dangers and look at the OSHA Regulations regarding working with asbestos.
- Explain the history of asbestos and why it was used.
- Discuss how to identify asbestos in its various forms.
- Recall the diseases which exposure to asbestos can cause.
- Describe places and products where asbestos can be found in domestic and industrial settings.
- Identify the regulations that govern asbestos handling and disposal.
- Describe how asbestos fibers spread.
- Explain why asbestos fibers are highly hazardous.
- Recall the appropriate PPE and RPE that you should wear during exposure to asbestos.
- Discuss what you should do if you find asbestos in a good, bad, or slightly damaged condition.